Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The "meldrum" Mystery...

Last week, I was tweeting with former Earth Class Mail employee, Kelly White. As I've said before, he's a bit of an Earth Class Mail Apologist, but generally, he does seem nice enough.

At one point during the course of our exchange, Mr. White seemed to think I was someone called simply "meldrum." meldrum is a complete mystery to me. I don't recall seeeing any "meldrum" on the "StartUp Junkies" show, nor is it a name I'm familiar with from perusing the Earth Class Mail website. Who or what is meldrum? A Google search turns up this metal band...

Here are the few clues on meldrum from Mr. White's Tweets:
  • Mr. White said that he had "heard stories" about meldrum and that he (Mr. White) had replaced meldrum - presumably in a job at Earth Class Mail?
  • Thinking I was meldrum, Mr. White wanted to "go out for a drink some time, catch up, and share war stories" - from working at Earth Class Mail or jobs in general?
  • Mr. White then explained that he has "got connections here in portland if you're still around and looking for work, let me know" - that's a generous offer! Although I don't think he has met meldrum, in extending himself in that way, Mr. White shows that meldrum is someone he respects.
  • Mr. White then shows concern for meldrum's reputation: "although you might want to remain anonymous, this conversation getting out in the public could hurt your reputation" - again, Mr. White seems to have respect, and even worry for meldrum.
  • Mr. White then tries to bond with meldurm by talking sports: "they told me you were from boston, i went and saw the redsox back in sept 07, ortiz homered in the 9th to win"
Mr. White then goes on to accuse meldrum of working for Earth Class Mail's competition (and who knows - maybe meldrum IS working for Earth Class Mail's competition). Then, last but not least, Mr. White says:
  • "meldrum, i read your blog before you took it down, no wonder you had to move away and now only post anonymously" - that one may be the most intriguing of all!
So, let's go over all the facts that we can discern: it seems that meldrum, originally from Boston, may have been a one time employee of Earth Class Mail who left (under possibly trying circumstances) and apparently had a blog? What I wouldn't give to read that!!

But this I know for sure: I am not meldrum, nor do I work for Earth Class Mail's competition. I'm just an Earth Class Mail customer, extremely disgruntled over the massive price hike imposed upon me and other loyal, original customers by one Sarah Carr et al. I feel used, cheated, and suckered by Earth Class Mail. It no longer is the company that we saw Ron Wiener build with such care and consideration in "StartUp Junkies."

meldrum, if you're out there, I would love to hear from you and hear about your blog and Earth Class Mail experience - do share! And if anyone else can enlighten me to more details of the mysterious meldrum saga (Mr. White? Ron?), openly or anonymously, I eagerly look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment