Friday, August 21, 2009

Enter Kelly White

Today on Twitter, I heard from Kelly White. Seems like a nice enough guy, though perhaps a bit of a blind Earth Class Mail / Ron Wiener Apologist.

Many things came up when tweeting with Mr. White, so I'd just like to clarify a few points:

First of all, I really do like Earth Class Mail. It's a great company that provides an excellent and valuable service. Their security (with one exception, see below) is top noch, the new Web UI is a vast improvement over the original (though it is a bit bloated: it should load as quickly as Gmail. Take a queue from Google's use of Ajax people!), and other than their disregard for the company's original loyal customers, they are to be commended.

I am now looking into competing services, though I don't want to. Mr. White seemed sure that I was working for one of Earth Class Mail's competitors, which I promise I am not. I've been looking into two of them, as I really do need an alternative, but won't mention their names here. (If anyone really wants to know, they aren't too hard to find. I did mention them in some pre-Kelly White Tweets.) Again, other than two issues (one major, one minor) I really am a fan of Earth Class Mail.

The big issue obviously is Earth Class Mail's 100+% price hike on long standing customers which is their greatest fault. Ron Wiener and ECM asked us to trust them, and we did. How are we rewarded? By a massive price hike after we have changed all our addresses to our Earth Class Mail accounts. This is No Class Mail indeed.

The far more minor issue is that for a company that touts security, Earth Class Mail runs everything on Microsoft severs! The only pathetic scenes in the otherwise great "StartUp Junkies" series are those in which they are moving from Linux Servers to Microsoft. People! Anyone who knows anything about security knows that Open Source Linux is far superior to Microsoft. You are secure in every other way - why compromise on your servers?

But this blog is not about that one bad security decision. It is about the massive price hike and the disloyalty and betrayal it shows to long time Earth Class Mail customers. We feel used!!

Next up: who or what is the mysterious Boston "meldrum" - ?

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of late to this blog and I see it is not that active anymore but I applaud the efforts of Ofaccio to try to promote a change back to rationality at ECM which has yet to happen. Ofaccio, can you advise if you have found a service to substitute for ECM that meets with your satisfaction? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete